How to climb hills faster

Robert Gaggini
Hill Climb

Hill climbing is one of the favourite cycling challenges. There are a number of reasons for this. Its a great workout, a true sense of accomplishment and you earn a fast descent.

Hill climbing times can be compared amongst colleagues, with bragging rights to the KOM.

How can you you climb faster?

Ride with someone slower than yourself

This is my number one advice if you want to "feel" as though you are riding faster. Unfortunately it is not the best way to actually ride any faster but you will be enjoying your hill climbing much more.

Ride with someone faster than yourself

Complete opposite of the first point. This will improve your hill climbing so that you will ride faster, but there will be much pain and suffering and you are less likely to keep up this habit.

Add a motor to your bike

This will make you faster, but it's not in the spirit of the conversation.

Buy an expensive bike

You will feel great, ( with definite bragging rights ) and you are likely to be out riding more often, (except you will not be seen when wet), but it will not give you the big picture improvements that you are looking for.

Buy a set of lightweight wheels

Another expensive option, and also not to be used in wet weather.  The ride will be comfortable, you will accelerate faster, but still missing the big picture.

Lose weight

The longer and steeper the climb the better off you are minimizing weight to ride a hill faster. Does not work so well if you are already on the light side, and unfortunately if your climbing friends are much shorter then you may have some trouble.

Improve your Cadence

Spin those pedals.

Do some strength work

Get in the gym, push some weights, get that core as strong as possible.

Ride Big Gears

Get some strength done on the bike.

Get to understand the "Power to Weight Ratio"

Climbing fast up a hill is all about it.

Increase your Power

Power is strength by speed, hopefully you paid attention previously.

High Intensity Interval Training

A great way to increase power.

Lose more Weight

Get yourself light. Lose Fat and Not Muscle. Once you have done this the lighter bike and wheels will help.

Thank You for Reading. Please Share.

Robert Gaggini
Mt Gambier Winner 2005

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Robert Gaggini is founder of Adelaide Cycling Academy and owner of Infuga Retreat. As a cycling coach Robert brings years of experience to a wide range of Cycling Activities.

Winner of multiple cycle races including Mt Gambier 100mile classic 2005, and Alphutte 2003, (4th in 2012). Participant in a variety of endurance events including Paris-Brest-Paris, and is a 40km per day commuter for over 20years.

If you require any assistance with training plans, cycle coaching or if you just want to ride faster, Robert is happy to assist.

Write a comment

Comments: 9
  • #1

Anna Groover (Thursday, 02 February 2017 17:53)

I all the time used to study piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of web therefore from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web.

• #2

Woodrow Kriner (Friday, 03 February 2017 17:50)

Ahaa, its good dialogue concerning this article at this place at this weblog, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at this place.

• #3

Dacia Renninger (Saturday, 04 February 2017 16:39)

Excellent goods from you, man. I've consider your stuff prior to and you're just extremely great. I actually like what you have got right here, really like what you're stating and the way by which you assert it. You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can't wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

• #4

Daniele Sinner (Sunday, 05 February 2017 19:54)

If you are going for finest contents like myself, just go to see this website all the time for the reason that it gives quality contents, thanks

• #5

Major Duhart (Monday, 06 February 2017 05:55)

Hi, I log on to your blogs like every week. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep doing what you're doing!

• #6

Quiana Stuhr (Monday, 06 February 2017 18:40)

What's up, this weekend is good designed for me, since this occasion i am reading this great educational piece of writing here at my home.

• #7

Fallon Alcina (Tuesday, 07 February 2017 04:26)

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

• #8

Angella Provenza (Tuesday, 07 February 2017 05:12)

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

• #9

Major Duhart (Wednesday, 08 February 2017 15:52)

Greetings! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. Appreciate it!