Experienced cyclists complete all cycling skills at a good level. Climbing, Sprinting, Drafting, Bike Handling and Descending are some examples.
Any of these skills developed to an elite level can be used as a weapon.
I have another skill that I describe as a weapon. This has been developed from a High Intensity Training. What is the "Weapon"?
The weapon is the ability to ride high intensity (BIG WATTS) for a full 30 seconds.
The wattage is prescribed from baseline testing, and is typically 75percent of maximum power.
The beauty of the weapon is the length of the effort. Maximum Power is only held for seconds, a Maximum Sprint is only a few seconds more.
These efforts are held for 30 seconds.
- Become bulletproof, have the ability to withstand multiple surges.
- Create a Breakaway with an acceleration and ride at high speed for a full 30 secs to create a gap from the bunch.
- The ability to bridge a gap to join (or bring back) a breakaway.
- Jump the finish line 30 seconds before the finish line to beat the sprint.
Program the "Weapon"
- Once a week
- 12 efforts of 30 seconds with 4 and a half minutes recovery.
- Maximise your Recovery Program
Thank You for Reading. Please Share.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Robert Gaggini is founder of Adelaide Cycling Academy and owner of Infuga Retreat. As a cycling coach Robert brings years of experience to a wide range of Cycling Activities.
Winner of multiple cycle races including Mt Gambier 100mile classic 2005, and Alphutte 2003, (4th in 2012). Participant in a variety of endurance events including Paris-Brest-Paris, and is a 40km per day commuter for over 20years.
If you require any assistance with training plans, cycle coaching or if you just want to ride faster, Robert is happy to assist.